Top 10 Recruiting Tips from a Top Recruiter
Today, I want to share my top 10 recruiting tips to help you grow your MLM business. As the top recruiter in my company, with more than 220 personal recruits, this is a subject I am educated and passionate about. I hope I can transfer some of my knowledge to help you improve your skills.
Recruiting is like riding a bicycle. When you first get started, you are clueless. You fall down. You hurt yourself. You make mistakes. However, as you stick with it, and develop your skills, you eventually succeed. Before you know it you are racing down hills, taking jumps, and riding wheelies!
This is how recruiting in MLM works. At first you can't sign up your mom. Everyone you talk to tells you no. People laugh at you or harass you. However, as you improve, you start to sign up some people. Within a few months, or maybe a year or two, your recruiting skills are top notch and you can sign up just about anyone you talk to.
If you follow these 10 recruiting tips, I believe you will become a very good recruiter in your current business.
1. Have 2-3 ways to get leads. Leads are the lifeblood of your business. Without leads, you won't sign up anyone. Once you know how to generate a steady flow of fresh leads, recruiting becomes easy. Pick just two or three ways to get leads that make sense to you and focus on those exclusively. Master those techniques. Do not spread yourself too thin and try to do too many lead generation strategies at once. For example, maybe you choose to do postcards, cold calling and Facebook.
2. Have an automated follow-up system. The fortune is in the follow-up. The average person needs minimum 7 to 20 follow-ups before they buy or join. Use an autoresponder to stay in touch with your prospects automatically. Also, have some type of follow-up schedule so you know WHEN you need to follow-up with each prospect. I personally use Aweber to do this for me (an autoresponder) and it works great.
3. Keep Your pipeline full. At any given point in time, you want to have 100-200 people in your pipeline. These are people you are CURRENTLY talking to about either the products or business opportunity. Basically, they are at some point in the recruiting process. By keeping your pipeline full, you won't have to worry about who gets in and who doesn't get in.
4. Focus on the other person. The key to recruiting is to focus on your prospect. Remember that most people care the most about themselves. They don't care about how great you think you are. They don't care about your company, its owners or your products. Instead, they want to know how THEY will benefit from the products or business. Focus on those things and you can't go wrong.
5. Recruit up. Stop looking for broke people who can't afford the products, and people who only want a job. Look for sharp, success minded people. Look for entrepreneurial people. Look for people with credibility, contacts and influence. These are your best prospects.
6. Make 10-20 Contacts per Day. This is a business of exposures. If you aren't making contact with at least 10-20 people a day you are really fooling yourself. This sounds like a big number, but if you work smart and leverage technology, you could easily do this in just one hour per day. To recruit more reps, talk to more people!
7. Always use third party tools. This is where the magic happens. Remove yourself from the equation and use third-party tools. There are TWO benefits to doing this. First off, if you don't know what you are doing, you can mess up the presentation and scare off your prospect. The other thing to consider is if you are a polished speaker, your prospect will think to themselves "I could never do what you do." Using third-party tools eliminates these two problems.
8. Every prospect is a prospect for life. Never forget that every prospect is a prospect for life. Just because someone tells you NO today does not mean they won't be interested at some point in the future. Never use pressure, hype or deceptive recruiting practices. Always be a professional, but stay in touch with people every 2-3 months FOREVER, until they buy or die.
9. Keep a detailed, updated database. This is my best tip. Keep a database of everyone you ever talk to about the products or business. Keep a database of everyone you personally sponsor. Keep a database of everyone you meet at events. If you did this for a few years, you could easily have 5,000 to 10,000 names in your database. This is a great resource you could revisit each month to find new recruits.
10. Learn how to close. This one skill can pay you a fortune. Do not confuse closing with high pressure selling. Closing is nothing more than helping someone make a decision. It's LEADING people to a decision, not forcing it upon them. Read some books on selling and closing and work on these skills. And whatever you do, ALWAYS ask for the sale! Look your prospect in the eyes and ask your prospect to take out their credit card and get signed up. You have nothing to lose by asking.
In review, these are 10 of my best recruiting tips. I hope you found the information helpful. What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree? Leave a comment below to let me know what you think.
About the Author